The liver is the only one of our five vital organs (brain, heart, kidneys, liver, lungs) that can self repair. It is the 2nd largest organ of the body (after skin). The liver’s main job is to filter blood for the body. And very importantly, the liver detoxifies and metabolizes everything we put into our body. The liver also secretes bile back into the intestines, makes proteins important for blood clotting and regulates hormones and blood sugar.
Hepatitis and excessive toxins like alcohol and medicine cause scarring (Cirrhosis) which compromises all of these liver functions. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) can also lead to scarring and affects about 25% of people in the US. A fatty liver comes from being overweight, having diabetes, or having high levels of fat in your blood. Unfortunately, scarring is a permanent condition and one that the liver cannot self repair.
Love your Liver by minimizing the excessive strains of toxins through a few simple life habits starting today. In addition to the obvious ones of eating healthy, exercising, losing weight and drinking less, below are a few tactical steps to aid in detoxing and cleansing the liver.
5 STEPS TO LOVE YOUR LIVER
- Drink Coffee. The latest hype about coffee protecting the liver from disease seems to be pointing in the right direction. There are mixed reviews about unfiltered coffee like espresso which can lead to higher cholesterol levels, and use of milk and sugar which add calories. But all studies read agree there is mounting evidence that certain unknown enzyme(s) in coffee protect the liver from cirrhosis, cancer and other diseases.
- Increase daily intake of antioxidants. Vitamin E (1000-2000 IU), Vitamin C (2000 mg), sulfur containing amino acids and Selenium (200-300 mcg), Milk Thistle, B vitamins, Vitamin K (fresh juice of raw dark green leafy vegetables).
- Eat cruciferous and leafy green (Vitamin K rich) vegetables. Rotate alfalfa sprouts, arugula, beets, bok choy, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, chicory, kale, mint, mustard greens, parsley, spinach, onions, watercress, wheatgrass. Add aloe, apples, avocado, garlic, lemon, onions, turmeric, walnuts to flush toxins. Olive, coconut and flax oil also help to protect against gallstones.
- Avoid foods that damage the liver. GMOs, trans fats, high fructose corn syrup, soda, MSG, processed and fast food, soy based foods unless fermented.
- Drink plenty of water, especially when taking pills. This may be an old wives tale but makes sense to me that water helps to dissolve pills before reaching the liver and thus placing less metabolic strain on the liver if it had to do the job solo.
A FEW LIMITED INGREDIENT RECIPES TO HELP START LOVING YOUR LIVER
- Water and Lemon
- Green Tea where to buy
- Tumeric Powder with Milk where to buy
- Ground Milk Thistle Seeds with Coffee where to buy
- Juice spinach, kale, apple (rotate leafy greens)
- Vitamix raw beets, add fresh lemon juice, add watermelon to switch it up where to buy
- Love Your Liver Granola (not a limited ingredient recipe)