Trained not only as a CPA, but also as an Italian cook while living in Calabria….This simple red sauce takes on flavor over night, but can also be spooned as soon as it heats up and flavors start to meld (20 mins). My Tyrolean Grandfather may not approve, but I sauté with broth – diverging from traditional oil – which is healthier and adds extra flavor. A super fast and easy recipe for the busy person!
ORGANIC INGREDIENTS (Quantities are to taste)
- 1 tbsp Garlic (let sit minced for 15 minutes to maximize nutrition)
- 1 tbsp Onion (any kind but I usually have on hand white or shallots)
- 1/2 cup Broth (low sodium chicken, beef, vegetable – homemade frozen, boxed, bouillon)
- 16oz Tomatoes (diced or whole, buy in a glass jar if available)
- 4oz Tomato Paste (buy in a glass jar if available)
- 1 tbsp Basil (fresh, fresh frozen)
- 1 tbsp Oregano (fresh, fresh frozen)
- 1 tsp Sugar (to reduce acidity)
Mince garlic and let sit for 15 minutes to maximize nutrition. Dice onion. Simmer broth in a sauté pan. Add onion and garlic. Once translucent, add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, sugar. Simmer uncovered (allowing acids to release) for 20-60 minutes depending on your time constraints. Spoon out of the pan onto any pasta, refrigerate overnight, freeze if enough left over!